A bible verse to live by...

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future"
Jeremiah 29:11

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

What is Soulful Gumbo?

The name Soulful Gumbo, truth be known, was the name we arrived upon after about 2 hours in our new toy. That hole in the ground full of water in the back yard that we heat ever so often and "chilax with our besties". (Is there a stranger phrase than "chilax with besties". I heard it on a radio commercial and it annoyed me to the point I feel obligated to share it with you...you're welcome.)



"Can I get a Hot Tub?!"
-State Farm Dude

I have a feeling many important family decisions will be made in the hot tub. Take that for what you will. I am not saying it is the wisest way to go about making major life decisions, it just might be OUR way!

Many Blog names were brought up, or should I say, I brainstormed and Courtney drank and exercised her veto rights. Some strange names came out of my head inlcuding odd drink names from our recent trip to St. Lucia like "The Fuzzy Pirate" and "The Dirty Banana." We will let you conclude for yourselves why Courtney vetoed these...

I threw out odd things like "People Watching is a Sport" or "People Watching for Dummies" since people watching might be the most entertaining thing EVER! Again, vetoed.

I finally stumpled upon (not literally @ www.stumbleupon.com but stumbled in my brain. For those of you who have never gone to that website, it is a time monster, we will not be held liable for your procrastination on this site...) the term Soulful Gumbo. She smirked at me and gigled and said that is dumb...ah, but there was no immediate veto! It grew on her. Which I think is just how women make decisions. It is a process of "NO!", "Ok, maybe..." "I have this great idea!", but I think this is another Blog post down the road...I digress.

The origin of Soulful Gumbo is actually the lyrics of the song "Funky Jesus Music" by Toby Mac (formally of D.C.Talk). The song kind of matches our attitude on life, and the phrase Soulful Gumbo just seems to be perfect. This Blog will likely be a mish mash of updates, stupid stories, commentary on life, dumb jokes, photos, video and essentially whatever we feel like posting. It's our Blog, we'll do with it what we want! For more context on the origin of "Funky Jesus Music" and Soulful Gumbo, see video of the song with lyrics.



"None of that mumbo jumbo
Give me that hip hop funk soul
Give me that funky jesus music
Give me that soulful gumbo"

It speaks to our Faith, the looser side of life and not taking things too seriously. We hope we can entertain, inform, and perhaps on occasion, enlighten you as this Blog develops.

Thanks for taking a peak!

and hopefully over time we will have you saying...

"Give me that SOULFUL GUMBO!"

Jon

1 comment:

  1. I assume we are some of the "besties" you are referring to... I'm ok with this! I have no problem with major life decisions being planned in the hole with hot bubbly water in your back yard not to mention vacations!!

    And yes I most likley will comment on every post... its part of the contract

    ReplyDelete