A bible verse to live by...

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future"
Jeremiah 29:11

Monday, March 28, 2011

For all of you cooking experts.

This weekend I decided I was going to attempt to make lemon bars from scratch.  It all went well until I cut into them and...it was all runny.  I am fairly new at the whole baking thing but would love to get better.  I have made plenty of box things but want to be able to do them from scratch.  Does anybody have a great lemon bar recipe that they love?  Or have any suggestions on how to fix the runny problem.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes baking is just by guess and by golly! Couple of things you might check ... did you use butter or margarine? The water content in margarine will be a little bit more, could cause runny bars. And, was it softened and not melted? Also, did you use the juice of real lemons or a measured amount from a bottle. If you used real lemons, they vary in size and can make a substantial difference in the amount of juice provided. Another thought might be ... how old is your flour? It may have lost it's umph ... But again, a lot of baking is just trial and error. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And usually when anything I make is runny (and trust me, honey ... I've been there), I took it out of the oven too soon. Yeah, I know .. you did what the book said but every altitude (you have none right? :)) and every oven is different. Love ya ... and I'll check for my lemon bar recipe.

    ReplyDelete