A bible verse to live by...

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future"
Jeremiah 29:11

Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Proposal pt 3.- Popping the Question

So the day arrived. I was proposing tonight.



We were going to the East coast for 2 weeks. Courtney. Me. My family.
I had already decided to propose on day 1. My reason was so I could get this freaking ring out of hiding so I wouldn’t lose it on Day 3, waiting for “the right moment”. I knew I was going to propose at the reflecting pool with the Lincoln Memorial and the Washington Monument looking on. I set this scenario up under the guise of taking night photos of the monuments and getting there at sunset to see if there would be any cool photos at sunset. She had been to DC before, but never really seen it at night, so this was a plausible cover story.

The only people who knew about this was my family and “the Dad’s”. So the plan was pretty simple. We would wander around sort of getting a lay of the land during the day, go get dinner and then Courtney and I would scamper off to go “catch that perfect photo” while the family would go back to the hotel room under the guise of being travel weary etc. We even planned for a contingency of us having to leave dinner early in order to catch the sunset so she didn’t think it was odd that just we were going. I had the sunset charts out, I knew when the sun was officially going to set, I knew about how long it would take us to walk over there. Done.

And then dinner came and a few drinks later, we were laughing and chatting, when suddenly I realized the time. Sunset was in 15 minutes and we had about a 15 minute walk. CRAP! So literally I practically jumped up in mid sentence and grabbed Courtney and was like “we’re off!”

My family didn’t flinch cause they knew what was going on. Courtney on the other hand was probably in mid bite and was a little confused as to the urgency. We than began speed walking. Past the white house…starting to get dusky…we are hauling through the streets of DC. And then that inevitable statement comes from Courtney. “I have to pee”. I ignored it and just kept going hoping that it would go away. Not so much. “Jon! I have to pee…like now!” well crap.

Ok…no problem. How do I solve this…there are no bathrooms on the National Mall…Lincoln wouldn’t really appreciate it…Port-A-Can! It will have to do. My fiancĂ© wasn’t real thrilled with this first proposal of mine, but accepted it and decided it would work. So as I was waiting outside watching the sun burry itself into the horizon WAY faster than it normally does, she was in a plastic toilet on the National mall, oblivious to what was going to happen in a few minutes.

She finally came out, and we bolted off again. We finally reached the area I had in mind. We had our little cardio work for the day, and she was only sort of annoyed at the rushing now because we basically arrived to a cloudy overcast grayness that was slowly getting darker and was not exactly picture worthy.

So I begin to look for a good place to do this thing. I wasn’t going to plop myself down in the middle of a bunch of tourists so I was looking for something semi secluded but not like 100 yds away. This process involved more of me dragging Courtney all over the WWII / Lincoln Memorial / reflecting Pool area at what I am sure seemed like random deliberate “goingness”.

Jackpot.
I found a vacant bench off to the side of the reflecting pool where we could see the Washington Memorial and the Reflecting pool. Very few people. Perfect. So we sit down to “wait for the sun to set” so we can get night photos. We sat there people watching, while I was trying to figure out a natural way to get the ring out of my camera bag and into my pocket. In a very similar way you would yawn to put your arm around a girl, I slowly put down my bag and was “checking the zippers” to make sure that everything was secure. At least that’s what I think I told her. She probably thought it strange but figured, whatever makes you happy, I’m finally sitting and not speed walking around DC with a full bladder.

So I pulled out the ring from its pouch. I didn’t bring the box because it was too bulky and got the ring in my pocket. I then realized I needed to get the ring out of the pouch, but it was already in my pocket…doh! So now I am wiggling and jiggling in my pocket…yes…I’m sure it was awkward. Finally got the ring free. The thought process now turned to what exactly was I going to say. It had to be kind of unique, but what? Then a video came into mind…



Oh crap. What if she says she can’t? She is stuck with me and my family for 2 weeks? She wouldn’t have come though…naw, I’m good. Ok. What to say…what to say…maybe we can make this an engagement trip…possible…what else...hmmm. Ok, screw it, I’m just gonna get off this bench, grab her hand and just say whatever comes out. That is fail proof! How could that go wrong! I’ll just wait for these little old ladies to pass in front of us..and its’ game time…wait…no, no…the old ladies are sitting down…oh for the love of…right next to us?! Of all the places to sit? Here? Now?! Argh!. I nodded my head in a polite hello and smiled. Now what?

So I started to search out Plan B. There. Right on the Reflecting pool there are some steps that we could sit on. Just as good, and free of people. So I made some wacky excuse about scouting out photo sites and grabbed her hand and off we went again. At this point I am pretty sure she was in her own world just resigned to the fact that I was nuts, and that’s just how it was.

So we got to our steps, it was even better than the bench. Literally like 10 feet from the reflecting pool. You could see Lincoln starting to glow from the lights turning on, WWII was lighting up, it was perfect. So I started the motivational process over again. Where was I gonna put my knee? I started to scan the ground. Oh crap. Literally. Duck poop everywhere. How am I gonna pull this off! I can’t exactly do a catchers squat and propose…that’s not protocol!

“Look! Fireflies!”

“huh.”

Courtney had noticed that all around us, fireflies were starting to buzz all around. She was elated. She started telling me stories about when she was a kid and I am sure I nodded, but all was looking at and thinking was. “duck poop”. This was not in my plan.

I finally figured out how to place my knee in such a way to avoid the duck poop…so here we go.

A lull in the conversation, and I started off into whatever it was I was about to say.

Me: “So I was thinking…”

C: “uh huh”

Me: “We are on this trip for 2 weeks with my family”

C: “yeah, I think it will be fine”

I later realized she was anticipating that I was concerned that we were going to drive her crazy over the next 2 weeks…at the time…I had no clue.

Me: “So I was thinking we could make this an engagement trip”

I then got down on one knee and showed her the ring…

C: -while looking around at fireflies, and not at me kneeling in duck poop – “Ok, that sounds good” –still no notice of me…in the duck poop-

So this wasn’t going quite as planned, but I was going now…I was committed…so just plow through this…

Me: “So, will you marry me?”

C: “wait, what?” –she finally notices that I am kneeling in duck poop holding out a shiny little rock looking at her as if I was expecting an answer-

Me: -in my head- I am thinking this is where you say “yes”…do I have to repeat this? How is this complicated…HELLO!!! Shiny rock! Yours! Take it!!! For the love of God I am kneeling in duck poop for your love! I am right here and…

C: “YES!”

Thank god. Life can move on.


What happened next was lots of squealing, smiling, and then the phone came out. This was my cue that I had played my part and now it was time to tell the moms and the rest of the world…

She text a picture of her ring to her mom, who at that very moment had decided to take a bathroom break at Pappacitos. Rick was about to tell her what I was doing, but the “I have to pee” moment happened to him to. Like Mother, like Daughter.

So Courtney went into mini panic mode because apparently there is a pre-determined priority protocol in announcing these things. Her mom had to know before she could text other people and a few “special” people had to know before it went on Facebook. Because when it is on Facebook, it is officially official.

Panic. Panic. Panic…phone rings…it’s her mom. The world can now continue.

Now at this point I had figured out that I was not needed and that I could go take pictures. After all, that is why we were here in the first place. As I was getting my camera ready I hear this conversation.

C: “Hi Mommy! I’m engaged!....Mom?...Your crying because you are happy right?”

Awesome. Probably a good thing to clear up…

So that was that.
We were engaged.


I would write a whole post on the wedding planning process, but I think this video pretty much sums that up nicely…



June 5th, 2011. The day we got engaged.

The Site



Other photos from that night...




Jon

2 comments:

  1. Ok people look at me funny when I read these! I laugh so hard and giggle it makes people stare!

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another fabulous recounting. I was so impressed that you actually looked up the times for the sunset. Of course, the fact that you forgot to WATCH the time was even more impressive. You're my kind of relative, Jon. Thank God that Courtney found you and was not put off by the duck poop. :)

    ReplyDelete