A bible verse to live by...

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future"
Jeremiah 29:11

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Adjusting to a new life

It is hard for me to believe that tomorrow Aaron will be 3 weeks old.  The time has gone so quickly, it seems like there are many days that escape me and before I know it they are over.  I couldn't tell you what I do at home all day with a newborn, other than feed and change diapers but it goes very quickly.  I am sure the time passing so quickly has nothing to do with having a newborn and a puppy to wrangle...but needless to say we are on our toes over here.
 A few things I have learned about Aaron:
  • He does not like to be cold
  • He screams when you bathe him because it is cold
  • He gets upset when you change his clothes/diaper because it is cold and plug your ears if you need to use a wipe because that is wet AND cold
  • He grunts when he is hungry
  • He can sleep through any noise UNLESS mommy is trying to sleep too then an ant walking by will wake him
  • He will one day make a great boxer because he has always got his guard up (hands by his face)
  • If he is running short on dirty diapers all you have to do is change his diaper and he is sure to poop in the clean one within 5 min.
  • When cleaning a poopy diaper protect yourself because he has been known to pee on his clothes
  • He makes great faces just like his dad so it should be interesting when he can put those to use
The first week, Jon was off work and it was great to have his help around the clock.  Unfortunately that had to come to an end and he had to go back.  We are lucky in that we have so much family that is willing to help.  Barbie came for a week to help with cooking and loving on both Aaron and Luna.  My dad and Spencer joined her later on in the week and we had a really nice visit.  They all headed home last Sunday and we headed back to the regular crowd around the house.  This past week has been much quieter, with visitors slowing down and I was able to spend some time really focusing on Aaron and learning more about him.  I will say it is rather surprising how quickly you learn what all of their sounds and movements mean.  Although I haven't been getting many naps, we have been doing pretty good at night.  Thus far we have had minimal trips out of the house but a few here and there.  Aaron has been to Bible Study the last two weeks, church and lunch last weekend, doctors for both him and me, and then an errand trip on Friday.  He loves the car and as most babies do, spends his cruising time snoozing.

This weekend was a low key weekend with no plans and it has been great to just relax and lay around in our jammies all day.  It is so nice to be able to feed the baby and sleep when it works for you and not feel the need to race the alarm clock. I love to snuggle our sweet little boy and I already dread the day he won't want to snuggle anymore.  Jon on the other hand asks Aaron every morning when he wakes up if he can swing a golf club yet.  I keep telling him the time will be here before he even knows it.

I am equally surprised at how good our little Luna is doing.  She has doubled her weights since we brought her home a month ago and it really a good dog.  We are pretty much, dare I say it, at the point where she is house trained.  That has been a tremendous help to have that done.  She also loves to be outside and will go lay in the yard forever.  She thankfully isn't really bothered by Aaron's crying and has adjusted well to him.  My wish list for Luna is that she will learn these few things and then she will be a totally independent dog:
  • Get on the couch herself, she is close
  • Get off the couch herself, she is a chicken
  • Go down the stairs by herself
I plan to spend some time this week working on a slide show of the first month of Aaron's life so stay tuned.  In the mean time here are a few of our more recent pictures.

 This is daddy's current favorite picture

Here is what Jon does on a Saturday, he makes music videos with our son...

No comments:

Post a Comment